It is common for owners of iPads, iPhones, and iPods to have a malfunctioning (or poorly functioning) Home button. Causes of Home button breakage:
- Stops working because the contacts are dirty or the mechanism is broken.
- It does not respond to clicks due to software malfunctions.
- Jams as a result of mechanical damage or moisture.
The situation is typical because the Home button is used more often than other buttons – Power, volume control, or lock. If there has been no mechanical damage or flooding with water, and the warranty period has not expired – please do not hesitate to bring your smartphone to the Apple service center for a free button replacement. Otherwise, you should find a technician or resuscitate the button yourself.
Signs of malfunction – how to find out if a button is broken
Before you start repairing your iPod, iPhone, or iPad, you need to determine the exact cause of the failure, make a diagnosis and understand why the button is broken. Start to act as soon as you notice the following signs of failure:
- No external damage is visible, but the button does not respond to presses.
- The cap and push mechanism of the Home button broke.
- Home does not work well due to the sensitivity – the button pusher is triggered by considerable force or, conversely, reacts to the weakest touch.
If you dropped or hit your iPhone, iPod, or iPad, the cause of the malfunction is obvious. You will need to physically replace the button or enable the Assistant Touch function built into the operating system (duplication allows you to use the device with a broken lock and power buttons).
You must clean the button mechanisms and the contact pad if you get dirt, dust, and water. If you do not download new updates or install jailbreaks and tweaks, most likely, replacement is unnecessary, and the button is not broken – it is enough to adjust it.
The Home button doesn’t work properly – how to fix it on your own
If the Home button works with a delay, you must try adjusting it. Here’s the procedure:
- Run one of the standard IOS applications.
- Press and hold the Power button until the shutdown bar appears.
- Press and hold the Home button until the slider disappears and the application is unloaded from the memory.
Calibration of the buttons (power, lock, volume, Home) does not work one hundred percent. As a rule, the button also does not work well after the procedure, so you have to act differently.
If the Home button does not respond at all or is stuck, it may have been moved by the docking port. To align it, you need to do the following:
- Connect the original USB cable.
- Press the connector at the bottom and the button at the same time (carefully, so as not to provoke new damage and other parts to stop working).
- Check that the Home button and the device as a whole are working properly.
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod still has a problem with the Home button or a problem with another part (such as the lock button), it is worth conducting a cleaning and lubrication procedure.
To restore the operability of the buttons (power on, lock, etc.) you can sometimes use technical alcohol. If the Home button does not work properly, follow this algorithm:
- Use a pipette to put a couple of drops on the gap (your target is the button, you can’t drip on display).
- Press the button 4-5 times to distribute the liquid evenly.
- wipe the surface of the button, wait about fifteen minutes and check.
If none of the above steps helped and the Home button doesn’t work properly, you do not have to take your device to a repair shop or call a specialist immediately. Instead, you can replace Home through in-built software – turn on the Assist Touch in the main settings. The function allows you to control the gadget without buttons (on and off, volume control, and Home).
Where to find an expert for button repair
If you have done everything possible, but the Home button does not work properly (glitches, jams), and its software backup does not suit you – use the functionality of the service Howly. The advantages of resorting to Howly:
- Individuals and companies registered on the site work without holidays and weekends.
- Craftsmen quickly return the functionality of iPhones, iPods, and iPads.
- You only pay a fixed price and answer limitless questions.
You can personally participate in identifying the causes of malfunction and the process of device repair and Home button recovery.
The master finishes the job only when they are convinced that they can provide you a complete guide to reanimating the button and restoring the device’s functionality (smartphone, player, or tablet) and you have successfully completed all the described steps.
Howly knows what to do when the Home button of your Apple devices does not work – ask them for help from the comfort of your home.