Computer HDD/SSD issues troubleshooting with Howly
A computer is a complex device, each component of which is responsible for the correct
operation. The most important components for a PC or laptop are the hard drive and the solid-state drive. Note that problems with SSDs are less common since SSDs have no moving parts, so they can withstand vibration, drops, and other shocks better than HDDs. However, SSD problems also happen. Troubleshooting hard drives and SSDs is a rather complicated but solvable process.
Together with Howly, you will be able to identify the symptoms of a problem with HHD and SSD, understand their causes and resolve their malfunction. You don’t have to take your computer to a repair center right away. First of all, inspect and diagnose your device online with us. Our experts will help you understand how HHD and SSD drivers work and help you fix any issues with them. We provide quality services, as all our experts are certified.
Get consultations from the top experts 24/7
On Howly, you can chat with experts about smartphone problems and solutions round the clock. We’ve already gathered thousands of quality specialists who have superpowers to make smartphone problems solved. Here you can always find someone ready to assist.
Describe what issues with a smartphone or gadget you’ve faced, and let us connect you to a professional who can consult you. Then talk to a gadget repair expert until your problem is solved.
People who assist you
We are confident that our experts are the best professionals you can meet on the web. They are top economists, beauty consultants, electronic engineers, and other specialists who have real superpowers to solve problems at a distance. Everyone who chats with you on Howly has successfully passed our 4-step verification and proven their competence. Now they are here to provide you with real expert answers and working solutions.
Experts you can trust
Answers in minutes
No hidden payments
Unlimited number of questions
Trusted & Secured
Сommon signs of computer HDD/SSD failure
Signs of a bad SSD and HDD are as follows:
- High noises, loud sounds, and other uncharacteristic sounds for normal disk operation;
- Missing files on your device;
- Files aren’t readable;
- Very slow computer;
- Displaying the error “Insert boot disk and press any button”;
- Blue screen after turning on the computer;
- Computer only works after a few restarts;
- Hard drives are read-only, not writable;
- Your device is overheating.
Note that you will most likely notice most of these signs if you have an HDD problem. An SSD is an external storage drive, so resuming it will be easier than a hard drive. However, Howly can help you in both cases. To solve your SSD or hard drive issues, we will connect the operator who has the most experience in this. We will resume your device after your detailed description of the problem. We are also available to advise you on other issues, such as the motherboard.
Causes of non-working hard and solid-state drives
The causes of HDD failure can be as follows:
- A blow to the computer while writing files or overheating;
- Burnout of the hard disk controller due to a pressure surge;
- Jamming of the hard drive motor;
- The hard disk read head unit has stopped working;
- Sticking magnetic heads on the surface of disks.
Among the causes of SSD failure are:
- Memory microcontroller failures;
- Flash cell failure;
- Mechanical impact;
- Fully filling the SSD memory;
- Large files;
- Multiple torrent downloads when using a budget SSD.
A common cause of failure for both HHD and SSD is malware. We advise you to back up your data if you notice signs of hard drive failure.
Tips for fixing HDD/SSD problems from Howly
We have prepared some tips for the prevention and recovery of hard drives:
- Restart your computer;
- Check the temperature of the device and close programs to cool it down;
- Scan your hard drive for errors;
- Install the latest versions of your operating system;
- Upload and install an antivirus;
- Update BIOS and device drivers;
- Reset your computer to factory settings.
If hard drive errors still occur on your device, contact us. Our experts will provide you with clear instructions for hard drive troubleshooting and will stay in touch with you until your problem is solved.
How we troubleshoot your HDD/SSD issues
The problem with solving a hard drive issue is that the cause itself is quite difficult to detect. Therefore, turn to Howly and get a complete diagnosis of your device.
We advise on a 3-stage principle:
- First, we analyze the description of your problem.
- Then we identify the reasons for SSD and HDD failing.
- After that, we consistently restore the device’s operation together with you.
We have no time limits or queues for communication in our chat – the operator will provide an answer to you as quickly as possible. Contact us and get rid of the problem quickly and efficiently!
Still need professional help with hard drive troubleshooting? We are waiting for you in our chat to solve your problem as soon as possible. Our experts are happy to help!
What our members say
Frequent questions from Howly users
Here we discuss the most frequently asked questions from Howly users. See some of them, and maybe you can find an answer to your problem.
- Go to the “My Computer” section.
- Select the desired drive and click on it.
- Choose “Properties”. On a Mac device, go to “Programs / Utilities”.
- Go to the “Service” tab.
- Click “Perform verification”.
Press the “Win + R” keys and enter “compmgmt.msc”. Click on “Disk Management” and select the option to initialize the disk.
To check the speed of a hard drive on Windows, use the HD Tune and CrystalDiskMark programs. The free Blackmagic Disk Speed Test app is convenient for Mac.