Apple designs its devices for the best possible user experience, and the iPad is no exception. The iPad has many useful features that many users are not aware of. In this article, we will talk about the split keyboard feature on iPad. Why is it needed, and how does it turn on or off? You will also receive an answer to how to fix a split keyboard on an iPad.
What is the keyboard split function on iPad for?
First of all, don’t worry if a split keyboard suddenly appears on your iPad. It’s not a glitch or a bug. Most likely, you accidentally enabled this feature. The keyboard split function is designed for convenience. By dividing the keyboard into the sides of the screen, the iPad is much more comfortable because you can hold the tablet with two hands and type with your thumbs. Given the size of the iPad, this is entirely justified, as it can sometimes be difficult to reach the desired button on the keyboard with your finger.
Ways to fix split keyboard on iPad
So look for a button with the image of the keyboard. You can find it in the lower right corner. This is the button to control keyboard functionality on the iPad.
With it, you can select the keyboard mode for your convenience.
There are several ways to fix a split keyboard on an iPad:
- Place your fingers on the split keyboard on both sides (for your convenience, place your fingers on the space bar), and then simultaneously pull it toward the center. Thus, the split keyboard will become solid again.
- Hold down the function button of the keyboard for 1-2 seconds, then in the window that appears, press Merge, or to fix the split keyboard and put it at the bottom of the screen, select Dock & Merge.
In order to fix the split keyboard on iPad, go to settings on your iPad; in General select Keyboard section, then select Keyboards, and in the new window, click on the toggle nearby Split keyboard. Using this method, a split keyboard won’t bother you anymore. If, for some reason, you need to enable the keyboard, do these steps again.
How to move the keyboard to another part of the iPad screen?
If you need to move the keyboard on the iPad, you need to:
- Go to the application that uses the keyboard.
- Hold down the keypad function button for 1-2 seconds and select Undock.
- Then, briefly hold down the keyboard functionality button and drag the keyboard to the screen location you need.
To return the keyboard to its default position, hold down the keyboard function button again for a couple of seconds and select Dock.
How to turn on a keyboard split function on an iPad?
We have analyzed the methods of how to fix the split keyboard on the iPad, but what if you need to turn on the split keyboard on the contrary? To do this, go through the following steps:
- On your iPad, go to the application that uses the keyboard.
- Hold down the keyboard function button for a couple of seconds.
- In the window that appears, select Split.
It probably happened as a result of accidentally touching the screen. To prevent this from happening again, you must turn off the split keyboard feature in settings.
No, this feature is not supported on iPad Pro 11″ and 12.9″.
No, unfortunately, the iPhone does not support this feature.
So, we have sorted out several ways to fix the split keyboard on the iPad. You will know how to turn on this feature if necessary, or vice versa, to make the split keyboard no longer turn on on your iPad. If you have any questions, you can always contact our technical experts in Howly for an answer.