The dark and white screen on the iPad that appears after turning on the device is a serious problem for owners of tablets. Apple gadgets, designed to the smallest detail, usually break unexpectedly. If you have a tablet that does not turn on, and its screen is covered with stripes, or there is no image, but the backlight is still on, it is possible to deal with this kind of malfunction on your own.
Why does the display turn black and white?
To fix the problem, you need to find the malfunction that causes the white screen on the iPad. It could be:
- Faults with the tablet’s hardware. Screen failure occurs most often with mechanical damage to the device. If the iPad has been dropped, bumped, or subjected to heavy pressure, the display panel could be damaged.
- Moisture and dust may get inside the tablet, resulting in a short circuit, which leads to the display not lighting up or turning white. Electrolytic processes can also cause breakdowns of another nature, so do not put off repairing your device.
- System error or software failure. This problem is often encountered by owners of Apple products that have recently been reflashed. In case of a software error, the display may freeze and not light up, and be covered with stripes when turning on.
What to do and how to fix the tablet?
If your iPad of any model shows a black-and-white display or half of it goes out after powering on, the first thing to do is to reboot the tablet. To do this, simply press the Home and Power buttons simultaneously. In the case where the bars on the iPad screen appeared due to a software failure, after rebooting, the problem should be eliminated, and the device will work as it was before.
If the entire display or half of the screen goes out systematically, you can try updating the firmware or rolling back to a previous version. Perhaps, when installing the latest updates or low-quality applications, there was a system failure, which disrupted the work of the circuit board and other components of the module. Reflashing will also solve the problem when the iPad does not work.
You can use iTunes to restore the iOS operating system when the screen on your iPad is out, and you can’t see the image. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Connect the tablet to the PC using the USB cable that comes with the Apple device.
- The computer your device is connected to must have iTunes installed. If not, download it from the official Apple website.
- Launch iTunes, then click the Device button near the top left, and in the menu, select the icon that represents your tablet model.
- Click the Overview tab, and on the device with a non-functioning display, hold down the Home and On/Off buttons. Hold them in this position for about 10 seconds.
- Next, a window will appear in the program that prompts you to restore the iOS operating system.
When the touchscreen needs to be replaced
If the iPad display has been subjected to mechanical damage, it will have to be replaced. In this case, when performing this kind of repair, not only the display must be replaced, but the entire touch panel too, since they are made in the form of a single module.
If your tablet was dropped or got wet, the printed circuit board and the microcircuits that make up the screen module would be broken. Only a qualified specialist can determine the exact reason why all or half of the display goes out after turning on, but the backlight works, and the boot icon is visible.
Luckily there is a simple solution. You can always get professional advice from our team of Howly experts. Describe the problem that’s bothering you in the Chat window, and you will receive a consultation on how to solve it within minutes!